[thelist] QuickTime 5 Consensus

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Thu Jan 23 18:18:23 CST 2003

news:0CEC8258A6E4D611BE5400306E1CC9271E469C at smtmb.tmc.local...

From: http://www.finfacts.com/tv/ftv/internet_video_faq.pdf

"Which plug-in is most popular?
RealPlayer is the leading streaming video player. The software is installed
on 80.8% of home
PCs. The runner-up is Microsoft's Windows Media Player, which is installed
on 55.3% of home
PCs. QuickTime is the least popular, by far."

I've heard everything from 3% to 15% depending on who you ask.  Most Mac
users would obviously have it installed, but [insert standard "define your
audience" caveat here], and I suspect that QTVR users number much less.
It's not a huge download for simply the panoramic movies plugin though, so
if you wished to use it and gave a link to Apple for the download, it could
be acceptable.  I just wish that VRML hadn't crashed burned so quickly,
especially with the rendering abilities of modern computers.

--
Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu