[thelist] Head Hunters, Staffing Agencis and Job Hunting Tips

David B. kru_tch at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 27 01:21:00 CST 2003

On 26/01/2003 3:07 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Andrew Finger wrote:

Sorry but I have to but in on this thread, you're giving bad advice IMHO.

> And this is just silly. Someone staffing a reception desk in a
> lobby has *no idea* what to do with your resume. None.

Absolutely they do - I have to wonder just how much experience you have. Most
companies have what is called procedure. Perhaps you've heard of it? The
receptionist is usually informed when the company is hiring, and reminded what
to do with individuals dropping off resumes.

> Send it to HR? News flash: HR doesn't want it.

Uh huh, and what exactly does the Human Resources department in a company do my
friend? I haven't seen one HR department in my experience, not know what to do
with a reume, nor not know when their firm is hiring. They generally prescreen,
before the short list is given to the manager, or head of the appropriate
department. Then the real interview takes place.

> HR processes the paperwork for new hires when an offer is made and
> accepted. Individual groups deal with filling positions. You need
> to know *who* to talk to. The receptionist can't tell you, because
> s/he doesn't know, and has no way to find out.

Wow - where do you work? Most enlightened companies have their HR, do the prescreen.

> And since you had to drive to this lobby in the first place, park,
> walk in, your "wasted thirty seconds" is actually more like a half
> hour, forty-five minutes, at least. Regardless, time wasted.

One's time is not wasted when job seeking by visiting the prospective employer.
It's an experience. One observes and learns. Unfortunately there is no manual.

> Except that, other than very small startups, most companies have
> more than one building. Many of those *don't have lobbies*, though
> they do have multiple doors. Sorry.

Uh huh, and most businesses have vistors parking and signs as to where the
reception is. Where do you think clients, salespeople go? In fact many companies
have elaborate boardrooms set up for visiting clients. You're not making much
sense here.

> Friendly or not, executives at any size company are busy *running
> their business*, which means tight scheduling of their time. And
> the CEO really expects the IT people to figure out who to hire on
> their own...

Which is why they have HR departments, and a  hiring process. Judging by your
comments you work for a small company. IT departments at medium to larger
companies definitely do not hire on their own. HR starts the ball rolling after
a department has been approved for more bodies. The decision is usually made by
the department head concerned, in conjunction with HR, whom have already
prescreened (if you've been following along).

> In reverse order -- there *are* no "lulls" in the day. And you will
> *not* get an interview on the spot. An "interview" consists of you
> talking to *several* people -- potential manager, peers -- whose
> time needs to be scheduled, and who want to see your resume first
> so they can ask intelligent questions.

Yes one can often get an interview on the spot. I've done it myself and know
many others do so as well. Like the previous writer suggested, there are lulls
in the day, when an enterprising caller just might get lucky.

>> Get comfortable dealing with
>> head honchos.  The best jobs don't want timid personalities.  Show your
>> future boss you've got guts.
>

> As a hiring manager, I'd like to see someone with a clue about how
> business works, first, thanks :-)

I suggest you not look in the mirror to find that. You obviously are talking
/only/ about the place where YOU work. Most of what you have suggested has not
been my experience, nor does it seem relative of what others here have
experienced either.

> And BTW, I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm trying to give a
> job-seeker a /realistic/ understanding of the job search environment,
> at least here in the Valley. Other places may be totally different.

Well if you're /not trying/ you're certainly doing a good job of it. You said
your experience came from Silcon Valley. No doubt you're tainted somewhat by
relative inexperience. One should do research, then hit the pavement. That's not
to say that one shouldn't work contacts either. However, your way is not the
path to success, entirely on it's own. Trust me.

I'm been in high tech for 20+ years, some of which have been spent in positions
where hiring responsibilites where part of the job description. The individual
that shows gumption, and initative is always going to be considered higher than
one answering a general cattle call. It doesn't take any brains to answer an AD
in a paper or use a contact. If one is able to cold call, and make an impression
the "ole fashioned" way, /that/ will always mean more to an individual hiring. A
generalization, but you get the point. I hope, at least the ones here looking
for positions.

> So how *do* you find a job here?
>
> 1) talk to your personal contacts (or make some)
>
> 2) respond to job postings in the paper, company websites, etc.;
>    this hardly ever works, but it's less timeconsuming and slightly
>    more likely to bear fruit than just wandering around...  :-)

I don't think anyone was considering "just wandering around" in their advice.

--
Cheers,

David Burband
Yahoo messenger: kru_tch