[thelist] Experience and server architecture for .NET

JSchell at doeanderson.com JSchell at doeanderson.com
Thu Jan 30 08:08:01 CST 2003

My boss is now on the .NET bandwagon and wants to have everything we've
done converted to .NET.  Keep in my this is more of a politician than a
technical person.

Would anyone who is using .NET now share their experiences on the
following?  We're currently evaluating VB.NET and C# as our building
languages for ASP.NET.

1. Real world architecture and configuration for server(s).  i.e. processor
speed/memory, standalone db,mail, IIS servers versus shared systems.  Based
upon this architecture what is your server load versus reliability.  How
many sites/load can you support on one/two/three machines, realistically?
2. Security issues encountered with .NET
3. Available support
4. Have you dealt with multiple developers using the same Visual Studio
project files across a network.  What has been the pros/cons of it?
5. How difficult of a transition has it been for developers who have PERL,
ASP, CF and iHTML experience to learn the nuances of .NET?
6. What has been the pros and cons of VB.NET versus C#?
7. What resources online are available to address these real world
questions?

Any advice on any or all of these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy Schell
Senior Internet Developer/Technical Lead, Interactive
Doe Anderson, Inc.
(502) 815-3339