[thelist] Link Etiquette

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Jan 30 10:36:00 CST 2003

Rob Schumann noted:

>>Am I being dumb, or wouldn't setting the title attribute inside the
>>anchor to something meaningful have the desired effect, at the expense
>>of a "helpful tooltip" in the visitor's browser when they point the
>>finger at the link?

Hi Rob,

No - I think you're spot on target.  Right clicking to add the link as a
favorite seems to pull in the "click here" text as the name for the
favorite in the absence of a title attribute.

<dig>... for folks that don't type over the 'suggested' favorite name
before saving anyway - which is what I usually do ... </dig>

Add in the title attribute and this right clicking to add the favorite uses
the name from the title attribute ... which looks like it gives you more
freedom in structuring your links.

[This whole topic kind of caught me off guard. I've never added a favorite
without looking at the page first to see if it was worth adding.  I'm
still not sure why anyone would right-click add a favorite - but since
some of the folks in my audience might do it, that's something I'll have
to keep in mind and check for in my work.]

{BTW - I only brought up the Stanford example the other day because I
liked the way it looked ... I didn't spend a lot of time extensively
analyzing the underlying code.  I did notice they used an image map
where I probably wouldn't have ... but I still liked the way it looked.}

RonL.

*above clicking behavior scenarios only checked in IE5.5