[thelist] {server side] programming practices resources

IP BG iyanpac at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 09:07:01 CST 2003

--- Rob Whitener <rwhitener at DesignOptions.com> wrote:
> If you are looking into OOP and OOD, you will need
> to learn about concepts
> like polymorphism, inheritance, information hiding,
> and the differences
> between public, private and protected classes.  To
> learn more about these
> principles you can google the hell out of them, or
> you may check out wrox
> press for anything dealing with OOP.  Wrox is
> generally a very solid
> publisher.  It may sound silly, but if there is a
> university near you with a
> computer science program, go find some of the books
> they use for classes
> dealing with data structures, software engineering,
> and software design.

When you get right down to it, an OO design can be
arrived at without the use objects, but this may be
considered akin to a troll. :-) Just consider that a
major difference between an object approach and one
using collections of data is simply whether or not a
collection of information may act upon itself to
change it's state!

And whether or not we use objects, can we not still
abstract data with the use of collections.

Anyway, things like polymorphism, inheritance,
information hiding,
and the differences between public, private elements
of a class (and so on), are more the mechanics of the
paradigm than an actual guide to good design. Bad
design happens with OOP all the time. Just the same,
good, clear, and (dare I say it) abstracted design
happens all the time without the use of objects.

Look at OOD with out tying it to OOP in your head.
Better yet, look into the concepts of Responsibility
Driven Design, which can be (and has been) applied to
the use of Modules as well as Objects, and may be
applied to any approach as long as one does not limit
him or herself to a paradigm.

The point here being that all of the approaches have
good and bad aspects to them. Learn them and learn
when to apply them and when to take liberty.

Cheers,
BDKR