[thelist] [DB Design] Recursive Directory Structure

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Sat Feb 1 20:17:20 CST 2003

ken,

> I don't even know where to start googling on this one... Nothing useful
> has been turned up yet.
>
> I want to emulate a directory structure in a database. I don't want to
> have to traverse the filesystem on the server as I'm already making
> calls to the database (prefrences, config, etc). The structure is
> something like this:
>
> Beef
>   hamburger
>   steak
>     sirloin
>     strip
>     ribeye
> Chicken
>   sandwiches
>   rotisserie
>   grilled
> Pork
>   bacon
>   ribs
>   chops

oh baby, one of my favorite topics....
i'm surprised rudy didn't point you at this:
(since i found it on his site in the first place, hehe)
http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=8866

it has some limitations however, read the comments
after the article to find them.

there's also another way to do it, that .jeff turned me on to.
let's all sit and wait...maybe he'll come by and tell us about it

if not, i know where to find him....

nagrom
http://morgankelsey.com