[thelist] fusebox in ASP

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Mon Feb 3 09:30:01 CST 2003

>I just stumbled across Fusebox and it looks like a beauty!  I happen to be
ASP-centric though, and unfortunately the link
>on fusebox.org to the "ASP fusebox overview" is dead.  Thus, I was
wondering if anyone had experience using fusebox with
>ASP (if so, what they thought) or could point to some good resources for
getting started (google turned up a good article >at aloha-webdesign.com,
but I haven't seen much else and this article is from 2000).  Please bear in
mind that I am just
>getting into the development end of things and a look over the code for the
core files from fusebox makes me feel
>instantly out of my depth.

Heh, I see people are beating down your door to talk about ASP FuseBox. :)

Most people have never heard of it. That's unfortunate, but expected, since
it's a methodology designed for CF.

BTW the link they had to "ASP Fusebox" was really just a copy of their basic
Fusebox doc, with a few key words replaced to make it sound more like ASP
(i.e. referring to Session and Application objects). But later in the
document that terminology was dropped and reverted to referencing
CF-specific info, even recommending using CF tags in ASP! Sad. If it had any
code at all, at best it attempted to be a direct port (impossible since CF
and ASP are different), and at worst it was purely vapourware.

There is/was an ASP version of Fusebox out there somewhere, I saw it a while
back, but I can't remember where.

The big thing to remember is that you will not be able to duplicate Fusebox
exactly, because it was developed for CF and is very tailored for that
environment. The ASP approaches use(d) Application and Session variables to
pass data between fuse files, but I am leery of that for performance
reasons.

Because of that I sat down and wrote my own framework that built on the
Fusebox idea in spirit, but is definitely ASP-centric. It's conceptually
similar, but different enough to not even be referred to as Fusebox. Someday
I'm going to actually release it online. Someday...

I'd be happy to discuss ASP and fusebox further with you if you'd like,
on-list or off. I'm very intrigued by the approach, and may take another
stab at it once I become more experienced with ASP.NET.

-dave