[thelist] Currency Conversion (ASP) - pls help !

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Feb 3 10:16:03 CST 2003

> --
> Hi !
> - I am looking for ways to add a currency converter to my ASP site
> (Access DB) - Just to convert from US dollar ($) to South African Rand
> (R), - no other currencies. This values will be added in a "shopping
> basket"

Hi

I was rather hoping someone would answer this well as I need to do something
similar, tho not in ASP. I was thinking that it must be a perfect web
services offering. I'd need to learn about web services, but surely there's
a currency converter web service out there .. anyone know one?

Otherwise, taking the values from a website. I guess you could program it to
take the value from two sites (and maybe average them if they are close but
don't quite agree), and to email you if one site is unavailable. It would
use the other value until you programmed an alternative site. That way, at
least it would keep working.

I was going to ask the client to choose a currency once, and then remember
the client's preference for next time. I was going to check also whether the
browser tells you which country the user is from, so I could pre-highlight
the currency, or even just pre-choose and let the client change it if they
want.
Dunno if that sparks anything.

Cheers