[thelist] fusebox in ASP

Stephen Caudill SCaudill at municode.com
Mon Feb 3 11:22:01 CST 2003

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil wrote:

> Going back to the two products and their actions:
>
> http://www.mycompany.com/products/?action=view&product=HairyWidget
> http://www.mycompany.com/products/?action=download&product=Fu
> zzyWidget
>
> You might decide to have two scripts, "view.asp" and "download.asp",
> both residing in the "/products" folder. Then "view.asp" takes a single
> querystring parameter, "product", and displays the appropriate product
> info. The "download.asp" script does the same, but it presents the user
> with a download link.
>
> Then if you want to change the files the action points to, all you have
> to do is change the list of actions in your module, rather than
> changing every page that points to it.
>
> Make sense?

  That clarifies a good deal... its a bit more advanced approach than I initially conceived, though.  I initially just wanted to go the next step in separating design from content but quickly realized that the ideas behind what I was investigating applied to much more than just that.  After hunting around a bit, I was tipped off to the fusebox methodology, which was better documented than a similar project on sourceforge.net.  Now, I can't stop the implications from rolling around in my head and bumping into each other.  Please excuse, I am just starting to get into OOP, so this is all very revolutionary to me.
  I currently envision a main template (index.asp) that will pass values to a work file, which will process those parameters and server.execute the correct content to include on index.asp.  Bearing in mind that all content is already marked up in xhtml and ASP and I am essentially just doing conditional includes, is it as easy as what I am proposing, or am I missing something?

Thanks again,
Stephen Caudill