[thelist] ASP (3.0) to parse Pdf's

David Treves dwork at macam.ac.il
Wed Feb 5 02:22:01 CST 2003

Hi All,

First, thanks for those who replied.

Secondly, I would like to share the results of my little research about
searching for text in PDF files using ASP 3.0.

As offered in Anthony Baratta, if we are working with ASP 3.0 it is wiser to
use the facilities provided by MS Index Server (comes with IIS), only that
this server searches only HTML, and DOC files. For that Adobe published a
filter which plugs into the index server and adds the ability to search PDF
files as well.

Here are relevant links:
MS Index Server:
http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/techresources/webserv/IndxServ.asp
Adobe PDF IFilter:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1276 (requires
login - no charge)
General info about it: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12b42.htm
General 2: http://www.searchtools.com/tools/microsoft-index.html

Since there were not too many replies to my post I believe that this info
can help many ppl here.

Have fun!
David.