[thelist] Survey Builder

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Wed Feb 5 10:58:01 CST 2003

I have a site which allows the user to enter a series of responses to
surveys submitted to him by a set of his 'clients.'  The survey questions
are fixed so we hardcoded them and the system is working fine (there is a
lot more to it than this, but that's the relevant part).

Now my client say he wants to add a second part to his surveys and this part
will be variable with each survey set.  Thus, he will need to build the
survey questions (and response types) each time he wants to input a new set
of responses.  This data input will be separate from the data input of the
fixed, base set of questions, but there will be a mechanism whereby the two
can be linked.

What I mean is each 'page' of responses represents one physical survey sheet
(that some person filled out) and is labeled as Sheet X.  So now the user
can indicate that Base Survey Sheet X corresponds to Additional Survey Sheet
Y and so forth.  With this, we can report the base data based on the
additional data.  For example, we could only report base data for
individuals who are of a certain gender, a certain age, etc.

Now that I've bored you with the intro, here's my question.  The client has
found (he loves to help me with my job) prepackaged survey building software
and wants to save money by using one of them.  The problem is that I need to
link each record in the Additional survey set to a record in the Base survey
set.  Is anyone aware of any survey building package that would allow for
this?  Our existing system is built in Perl with MS Access for the DB.

Thanks,
Hershel