[thelist] server no longer asking for credentials

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Feb 5 22:42:15 CST 2003

hi.

i have a private directory on one of my websites and for the life of me
i cannot figure out why for some users the server will ask for
credentials and others it will not. specifically, it will not ask for
credentials when *i* try to access this specific directory while it
*will* ask for other users.

i have removed all permissions on the directory except for the
Administrators group, which i have given full control. after doing that
i come to my workstation and try to get in and it goes straight to a
401.3 page. "You are not authorized to view this page". WELL DON'T YOU
NEED TO ASK ME FIRST?! ;)

the server is iis5. and both myself and the other user are using ie6/sp1
on win2k.

i have feeling it is my browser and not the server. i am using Medium as
a security setting. i was previously using a custom setting but changed
it to Medium in hopes that it would cure it and i could go from there.
alas... i have not been so fortunate.

ideas?

chris.

p.s. this directory has worked normally in the past. also, it is not a
part of a domain. it is in it's own workgroup. and has been forever.