[thelist] Site check: www.rspb.org.uk

Bird, Graham Graham.Bird at rspb.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 04:26:01 CST 2003

Hi,

I am responsible for the design of www.rspb.org.uk which re-launched
yesterday. Please cast a (not too) critical eye over it.

(For some nice content, see www.rspb.org.uk/birds/atoz/)

A little background - it's a major UK conservation charity site produced in
house by a very small team.

It is tableless CSS and XHTML Transitional and has been tested on a variety
of browsers on PC and Mac. Our "legacy browser" percentage amounts to about
5% (2% NN4, 3% NN3 plus stragglers) and as a result we decided to use the
re-design opportunity to take standards and accessibility seriously. Our
fully compatible audience is close to 70%, and we have a remaining 25%ish
with NND (Negligable Noticeable Difference).

I know there are some issues to deal with (not validating yet, accessibility
could be tweaked, CSS could be better in places, and so on) but I would
really appreciate some general impressions along with anyone's specific
browser issues.

I know that this post should have been sent weeks ago (after all, we have
already gone live), but you know how it is. And through the power of CSS I
can make changes "like that". :)

Anyway, if you can spare a few minutes...be kind.

Many thanks,

Graham

P.S. It may look a bit skeletal in terms of content. This is only temporary
(the content slaves are churning as we speak).