[thelist] Hosting for PHP & MySql

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Feb 6 08:49:01 CST 2003

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 03:50 AM, Chris Price wrote:
> I've looked around for hosting solutions that say they support both
> PHP &
> mysql but they range from unbelievably cheap to way out of my range.

Just like a lot of things, you tend to get what you pay for!

> I'll live without telephone support as long as the email
> support is decent but I obviously want reliability.

You may want to rethink being OK with email support alone: clients
won't be understanding when you tell them three times in the same day
that you're waiting for the support ticket to reach the top of the
queue (and the same thing the next day).

> What I'm really asking for is recommendations based on experience.

My experience is that it's possible to find a good, affordable host,
but invariably they will merge or be bought out and immediately suck
and you'll again be looking for a hosting solution you can live with.
I've experienced the cycle five times since 1996.

The best thing you could do is go in with others on a dedicated server
you can administer yourselves, and only have to rely on tech support
for connectivity and DNS issues.

Also, you would be wise to always be ready with an alternate solution
and have all the information to change DNS entries at your fingertips.
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>
Flash and ColdFusion Development