[thelist] another google question

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Feb 6 16:05:05 CST 2003

I'm redesigning/reorganizing a site that gets the #1 or #2 result for
many pertinent searches ... and I of course want to keep the rankings.
But the reorganization of the site will require the document to move to
another location. The new site will use a 404 handler to redirect
visitors (as well as serve all the content) ... and I'd like to remove
the "old files".

My quandary is that  DMOZ.org implies that having identical documents
in multiple locations may throw up a penalty, and have read elsewhere
that if a request redirects the browser to a different location, this
may completely remove the listing. So I seem damned either way.

The new site will have identical content (but different code) ...
dunno, do any voodoo scientists want to speculate on what the best plan
of attack would be?

Erik Mattheis
(612) 377 2272
<http://goZz.com/>