[thelist] Styles not showing up. Am I missing something?

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Fri Feb 7 16:41:01 CST 2003

>Maybe someone knows what's the cause of this strange behaviour.

Just from hearing your description, it sounds like a classic case of the
DOCTYPE switch. Basically browsers are in flux right now as they move into
standards-compliance. Before they would make an educated guess on CSS just
like they did with "tag soup" HTML, also known as "Quirks Mode". If you
specify certain DOCTYPEs however you switch the browser into "Strict Mode",
at which point it promptly ignores all of your
(previously-accepted-but-invalid) styles and markup.

I ran into this head-on one day when I switched DOCTYPEs on my site and IE
proceeded to draw boxes around EVERY box element on the page. THAT was
interesting, so I immediately went back to the earlier, quirks mode HTML 4
DOCTYPE.

For more info see the CSS-Discuss Wiki topic on this issue:

	http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=RenderingMode

HTH,
-dave