[thelist] google drops the ball

Anthony Baker lists at thinkbigideas.com
Wed Feb 12 09:52:01 CST 2003

Rudy,

You might want to check and confirm whether or not you're
problem is the result of some whacky advert app.

A few weeks ago, I started getting a horizontal frame at
the bottom of my pages with ads on a number of sites. At
first, I chalked it up to some new ad tech from the sites
themselves. The ads always had to do something with the
site I was on.

This frame didn't happen on all sites, just a minority of
the ones I surf, so I didn't think much of it, other than
being annoyed (because I have a pop-up blocker installed,
and was hoping to be ad/spam free).

After seeing it on sites where ads _should not_ be,
however, I did some digging in my msconfig settings and
found out that I'd somehow had an annoying ad applet
installed on my computer (still have no idea how), that
was running them. Again, they had NOTHING to do with the
sites I was surfing.

I killed the start-up settings for the app, and have not
had a problem since.

Oh, and I point this out because I've got standard Google
results as well and am searching using IE 6.x, with no
problems whatsoever.

/Ant