[thelist] Spam Cop??

Koutoulas, Pete PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us
Thu Feb 13 10:15:01 CST 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003 10:52 AM, Jason Handby wrote:

> I'll second that -- I use Cloudmark Spamnet (
> http://www.cloudmark.com/ ) to stop me seeing most spam, but in
> addition I use spamcop.net to report any that really pisses me off :-)

I use Cloudmark here at work but it doesn't seem to be very effective and I
get a lot of false positives on newsletters that I want to get.

In my opinion the very best spam tool around is the one I use at home --
POPFile. It uses AI (naive Bayes) to classify spam -- and other categories
of mail that I can set up -- and it gets better at it the more you use it.
Highly recommended.

As for Spam Cop, they list a phone number in the email but so far no answer.
After reading the info at their site, the only thing I can figure out is
last month I sent out about 50 messages to people who had signed up months
ago to be notified of changes to my website. According to Spam Cop, such
lists must be double-opt in and mine was not. Maybe someone signed up for my
notification service, then forgot about it until they got "spammed" by me.
Guess I'll have to set up something a little more sophisticated...

One other thought I had. My script that processes a response form on my site
is hard-coded to send the responses to my email address. There is no way
that I know of someone could exploit that script to send email to 3rd
parties. But then again, I'm no hacker. Do you all think a script like this
could be exploited some way? The important thing to note is that the script
takes no parameters other than the contents of the form fields -- there is
no way to pass it an email address and have it send mail to that address.

Thanks for all the responses, this has been an education!

    [ pete ]

This student or staff email originated from Fayette County Public Schools in
Lexington, KY.
Please report instances of abuse or inappropriate content to
postmaster at fcps.net