[thelist] using includes and performance issues

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Feb 13 12:01:57 CST 2003

At 08:41 AM 2/13/2003, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

>I'd say the average page has 10 includes. Some have less, some more
>detailed pages have more.
>
>Does this affect performance issues? If so how? I understand their
>desire to keep a design standard and using includes is one way, and
>the pages are all slightly different.

On the average site, this will not affect performance in a noticeable way.
If you have a high traffic'd site, then lots of includes can be a problem.
One advantage of JSP & .NET (and IIS 5 is a bit in this direction) is that
the pages can be pre-compiled, reducing the initial page load.

I've run a few fairly large traffic'd ASP sites that have about 5-7
includes per page, using HTML templates and code libraries, and we've not
noticed a performance problem. Of course our machines are dual-cpu'd with 1
GB of RAM (Stand alone, not clustered). Hardware helps. ;-)

Hope that helps.
--
Anthony Baratta
President