[thelist] function_id

Russell Griechen russgri at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 16 13:41:01 CST 2003

I am trying to grasp the idea of using function_id as a shorthand for
normalizing.

I have a categorie
and create table sportsmen(

subfolders? would be
hunters
subfolders of hunters:

foxhunters
birdhunters
treehunters
deerstalkers

a guru made a short (get out of here)  comment ...:

"You're right about the normalization, as far as I can tell. I
think you'd get by with fewer columns in your table, however, if rather than
creating one column for each category (ie, foxhunder_id, hunter_id, etc),
you instead created one column and called it "function_id" or something like
that. Then you could "F123" for a foxhunter or "H123" for a hunter. "

So what would such a structure look like ...in a table....?
or is it a class....$f123="foxhunters";    .....in a config.php?

Russell Griechen