[thelist] Server Backup System

Beam sbeam at syxyz.net
Mon Feb 17 14:05:22 CST 2003

> What I'd like to do is automatically make a complete backup once a week of
> all websites, then an incremental backup daily of all files that have
> changed.  The program would login by itself.  I'd like something that would
> run on Windows on my backup machine.  Bonus points for my being able to
> access the backup machine through VPN when I am out of the country.

rsync would be perfect for this. It runs over ssh. Only problem is, for the
Windows side you need to compile and install it under Cygwin, apparently.
http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_install.html
Personally I would rather install Linux on some old PC and make it a backup
server, but hey.

> Then, if I ever had to, I'd like to be able to recover individual files or
> roll back to last week's version with ease.  I don't want to download all
> the files daily, and I would like the week's files to be zipped up.  I want
> to be able to archive these on CD, then I'll have backups from old
> websites, which seem to come in very handy.
If you have disk space, you could have a exact mirror of whatever directory
trees you wanted (or it could be zipped using an at command, maybe?). rsync
would only download the files that have changed, and even then _only the
PARTS that have changed_ due to the unmatched brilliance of the rsync
algorithm. And you could just zip and burn to CD every so often.