[thelist] MySQL data Sync'ing Backup

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 17 14:35:07 CST 2003

Gabriel,
Thanks for the links and direction.

> I once set up a ghetto-rigged MySQL backup
> solution...wrote a perl script to stop the 'master', scp
> the db data files to the 'slave', and restart.

I'm reading into the replication links you sent me. It's a
first for me, so it'll be some time before I can get this
thing worked out (if I don't run into any show stoppers).

> This was a lame approach, but the point is mysql data
> files are binary-compatible between servers, so you can
> do this sort of thing.  If you do go that route, use
> mysqlhotcopy and there's no need to stop the master.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysqlhotcopy.html

As far as backing up data from the evolt servers is
concerned, I don't have much authority so a scripting
solution is the only thing I can see right now. If you still
have a copy of your Perl script lying around, I would love
to give it a shot. I am contemplating writing a script
myself to run SELECT (retrieve) and INSERT (backup) queries
for backing up my data, but it seems a little uncanny. I'll
look more thoroughly on google, before anything.

> Obviously this won't cut it in a production environment.
> But these days MySQL supports real replication, which I've
> never played with.  This is what I've heard anecdotally:
> Replication in 3.x can be slow and sketchy, and configuring
> 2way (dual master) is pretty slim on documentation.  In 4.x
> its apparently pretty sweet.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication.html

I'm gonna try this out with a friend if I can. Sounds like fun.

> Also, this guy is on mysql guru level...the presentation
> notes have good clues in them for further research, esp.
> the replication one.  Makes me want to go to conferences.
>
> http://jeremy.zawodny.com/mysql/

I'm going back to his presentation on scaling MySQL and
PHP after this mail. Exciting stuff. I saw a similar
presentation advocating the use of PHP by Yahoo and that makes
PHP sound like a whole new beast and not just a script-kiddie
tool. It's taken away from my own doubts on the scalability and
robustness of the languages (although, I still wish PHP was more
object oriented by nature). I don't know about Perl though...
it's hard to mantain and the documentation is hard to navigate.
But that's just me.

aleem

[ http://members.evolt.org/aleem/ ]