[thelist] Hacked pws :(

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Feb 17 19:28:01 CST 2003

As people have mentioned, this is Code Red.

However, if you got hit by this you are way behind on your patches. I'm not
trying to have a go at you, but rather make you aware that there are all
sorts of other nasties out there that are newer which you'd still be
vulnerable to.

Get Windows2000 Service Pack 3 installed on your machine, then head over to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (there's a link on your Start button) and
install the patches. Service Pack 3 also installs the "Automatic Update"
client which will tell you automatically (if you want) when there are new
patches out.

    -or-

If you prefer to do these types of things manually (especially for servers),
then get the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser (MSBA) which will analyse
a machine(s) for you (across the network if you want), and produce a list of
all the patches that the machine needs with links to the relevant security
bulletins and download pages:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
tools/tools/mbsawp.asp?frame=true

Cheers
Ken

From: "Michele Foster" <michele at wordpro.on.ca>
Subject: [thelist] Hacked pws :(

:
: Can anyone help me sort this out .. My PWS (win 2k) appears to have been
: hacked ??
:
: This is all I see in red letters:
:
: Welcome to http://www.worm.com !
:
: Hacked By Chinese!
:
:
: I can't get my files to run locally at all.  I've tried moving the
location
: and still that message appears. I've stopped and restarted PWS and still
the
: same. ;(
:
: I *just* copied the files off my CD from the office and put them on my
: computer .. are the files on my CD corrupted or just my computer?
:
: TIA,
:
: Mich