[thelist] Cold Fusion, Q-Mail, Spool Files

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Tue Feb 18 00:38:02 CST 2003

At 08:43 PM 2/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
 > However, if you're running CF on the same machine that's
 > running qmail (*nix, as qmail won't run on windows), you
 > can write a custom tag (cf_mail?) that does a cfexecute on
 > qmail-inject [1] with appropriate parameters. This will
 > put any email directly into the queue without having to
 > futz with inodes or send traffic over SMTP.
 >
 > [1] http//www.qmail.org/qmail-manual-html/man8/qmail-inject.html

Yes, actually, this is what I want to do. I want to use each tool according
to it's speciality.

What I wanted to do was to by-pass my reliance on Cold Fusion doing the
actual sending of the mail, and to hand it off to the appropriate utility,
or to hand it off to qmail in a way that's more effective for mass sending.
The reason is to promote reliability and to lessen the overall load.

I guess my next question would be this, then. Imagine that I'm looping
though half a million rows in a database, each containing names, addresses
and so on, merging it with text.

Can I really call qmail-inject once for each row, pass it parameter and so
on? Seems like asking it to do this once every 10 milliseconds or so is
asking for a bit much.  Or am I underestimating the power of *nix? We've
got a relatively decent server, but I'm not sure how to assess what sort
of  load this will place on it.

If I do this, is it really a better choice than using cold fusion's cfmail tag?

Are there any caveats or pointers you might want to bring to my attention?

Thanks.