[thelist] What happened to alistapart.com?

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue Feb 18 01:37:01 CST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Chris Johnston wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am just wondering what happened to alistapart.com? The site still
> exists, but it hasn't been updated in almos two months. For a website
> that prided itself on weekly updates this is a bit odd.
>
> I am just wondering if I missed a noticed that is was being closed down
> or that Zeldman was taking a permanent vacation from the site.

Zeldman has been scaling back his commitments while he finishes his book
and handles a welter of client commitments and speaking engagements.
AFAIK ALA is still a going concern, but the way production and maintenance
are structured, if Zeldman doesn't have time, nothing runs.

Meanwhile, he's also lessened his official involvement with the Web
Standards Project...

If you read through Daily Report archives, the situation is spelt out
pretty well.  I've corresponded with him briefly a couple of times in the
past few months, and the impression I've gotten is that he barely has time
these days to do much of anything.

--
Ben Henick                     "In the long run, men hit only what they aim
Web Author At-Large             at.  Therefore, though they should fail