[thelist] qmail queue distribution (was: Cold Fusion, Q-Mail, Spool Files)

Seth Fitzsimmons seth at note.amherst.edu
Tue Feb 18 09:23:01 CST 2003

> If it really is a half-million addresses, you want to be using qmail-queue
> to inject directly to the outbound spooler.  It requires that you add all
> the headers yourself (whereas qmail-inject is a drop-in replacement
> for /usr/bin/sendmail).
>
> This guarantees (among other things) both that you don't lose cycles
> on QMail trying to reverse-lookup the originating machine, and that
> you're not slowed down by qmail-inject's processing of the messages.
>
> At this volume, I would *strongly* recommend that you don't let this
> Qmail server do the end-user delivery.  Chuck everything at a big fat
> relay instead.

...Using a utilitity like qmail-qmqpc [1], passing the email to a queue
on a remote qmail machine running qmail-qpqpd [2].

Speaking of which, does anyone have any real-world experience using this
combination?  I was reading up on this a couple weeks back, but wasn't
clear on whether the list of QMQP servers in control/qmqpservers would
cycle (allowing multiple, theoretically balanced, remote queues) or if
it would always pick the first in the list, unless busy (my current
understanding).  Bueller?

Thanks.
seth

[1] http://qmail.org/man/man8/qmail-qmqpc.html