[thelist] Splitting Article into Multiple Pages

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 20 08:07:06 CST 2003

Greetings!

I have a MySQL database of essays that contain some pretty long articles.
I'm using PHP and instead of throwing all the text up on one mile-long page,
I'd like to be able to automagically break up the article among multiple
pages. (...and NOT for the purpose of creating more ad space to sell! ;-)

I had thought about using multiple text areas for breaking up the story when
it is published, but fear it may be a bit cumbersome for the writers. They
might be able to handle putting in a tag (like <pagebreak>) to signify page
breaks in the text if it's possible that PHP could spot the tags and split
it into separate pages accordingly.

Any thoughts on this (or where to find sample code to get me started) would
help you generate much merit and good karma. ;-)

Thanks!

Alan