[thelist] CSS Form layout and form types

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Thu Feb 20 12:59:01 CST 2003

Tom Dell'Aringa said:

> Where is it? :) (I too have done multi-column forms using
> divs and floats and they have had some problems.)

I don't have one posted anywhere right now, and no time to do it this
afternoon. I haven't tested it extensively at this point, but I may have
some extra time over the next few weeks to revisit it.

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > I would argue that if the form is so complex as to require multiple
> > columns, then it needs to be restructured:) So I guess the question
> > here is what you consider to be a *difficult form.*
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Heh, this could probably erupt into a holy war - it's that
> type of topic.

I agree.

> Quick example: I'm contracting for a client
> building an application. One page deals with the type of inks
> one might use for a print job, along with lots of other
> details about paper and so on. The form probably has close to
> 100 elements. Am I going to make this form one, long column?
> Not going to happen! Most of the parts of this page are 2-3
> columns, row by row.

It depends on who's filling out the form, really.

> I'm sure we've all come across stuff like this. Now, how do
> you code that in CSS - with no tables? I say, you can't. I
> want to see someone do it if it can be done though :)

Personally, I don't think it's a matter of coding in CSS. When I
approach form design, I first look at how the information needs to be
arranged, so that the form is logical. Then I structure it so that
things are accessible. Honestly, I don't *have* to use CSS for form
layout. I do it because I can, and it works in the browsers that I need
to provide support for.

> I also don't see a problem with intelligently using tables in
> such a case. And I DO use plenty of CSS to separate the style
> from the content in the form.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.