[thelist] keeping the computers synchronized

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Feb 20 18:35:11 CST 2003

From: "Jeniffer C. Johnson" <lead at offlead.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] keeping the computers synchronized

: At 10:50 PM 2/18/2003, you wrote:
: >When you created the share on the desktop computer, did you change the
: >Offline sharing mode to "Automatic Caching for Documents"?
: >
: >I just tried this. Any new folders I create on the server are appearing
on
: >my desktop when I browse the the share...
:
: Yeah, I can get to the files so long as I'm ON the network. The sharing
: works fine. What doesn't work fine is the "available offline" stuff. Any
: new directories, even when they're under something being synched and made
: available, are NOT available once I unplug the network cable.

I'll ask again. "Did you change the sharing mode to "Automatic Caching for
Documents". The default is "Manual Caching", and this means you have to
explicitly choose to cache the document/folder -or- actually open the
document, for it to be placed into the Offline Folders Folder of the laptop.

If you have the caching mode (on the server) to "Automatic Caching for
Documents", then the documents (and folders) are *pushed* to the client as
you browse the share (well, they are here where I'm working...)

I'm finding that they *are* available (they also have the little double
arrow symbol) when I disconnect my desktop from the network.

Cheers
Ken