[thelist] NavBar, highlighting current link

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 11:02:01 CST 2003

--- Kevin Cannon <p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have a typical navbar
> home  contact  about  moo
>
> I just want to highlight the current page,
> and in the absencs of an a:current pseudo element in CSS i'm
> wondering wht my options are.

There are lots of solutions, here is one that may not be the total
best but works for me, especially if I want to do it fast.

Since you are using PHP, on each page set a page name variable like:

$pageName

Which can be whatever you want. Then in your nav, if you are on the
named page, switch the graphic or link to selected:

$pageName = "foo";

if($pageName == "foo")
  print out selected graphic OR 'highighted' link
else
  print out other version.

now depening on the scope of your site and other things, this may or
may not be what you want. Anyway it works, I use it at:

www.sparklesparties.com to set the tabs.

HTH

Tom

=====