[thelist] Pop-up killers

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Fri Feb 21 12:14:07 CST 2003

> 1) Is there an overwhelming leader in the most popular software
> to kill pop-ups?

> 2) Do they differentiate between an onLoad event and an onClick
> event?

PopUp Stopper (www.panicware.com) has an "aggressive mode" which
apparently blocks any attempt to open more than one IE window,
unless you are holding down the ctrl or shift key.  It can play a
.wav to let you know it did so.  (The ones that come with it are
great, but I set mine to play the three-tone disconnect signal used
by the phone companies.)

The non-aggressive mode appears to allow onClick, except that it
didn't block some onLoad popups when I first tried it.