[thelist] 'watermarking' PDFs

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 22 13:21:01 CST 2003

> From: "j.d. welch" <so.there at showtunepink.com>
>
> i've got a collection of PDFs of design samples i'd like to
> watermark/brand (visible) with a small logo and copyright notice.
> does anyone know of a simple, automated way to do this? i've got the
> usual graphic tools (photoshop, illustrator, etc) and a full version
> of acrobat.  i'm working on os x, so i'm also up for any clever unix
> cli solutions as well.

i do this, sorta, with my letterhead... i created a PDF of my
letterhead, and then made it into an annotation stamp, which i then
stamped (in the correct location) on each page of a 50 page PDF... i
exported the annotation as an FDF file, and now whenever i need to
add my letterhead to a PDF (of up to 50 pages), i simply import the
FDF as an annotation and it stamps each page... if i have more than
50 pages, i stamp again starting at page 51...

when you export the PDF, make sure to prevent the user from
adding/editing annotations, else they'll be able to
move/delete/replace it, and may even accidentally select and move it
while reading anyway...

--
my latest book project:
  Web Graphics for Non-Designers