[thelist] IIS, Novel and Access

Jason Handby jasonh at pavilion.co.uk
Sun Feb 23 11:55:01 CST 2003

> We have an Access DB that's to be used both inhouse and on the web site ..
> yes, I know how horrible this is .. but that's the way it is.
>
> We bought some software from MS that allows the Win2k web server
> machine to
> see the shared drive under Novel. This part is working, when I go to my
> computer on the Win2K machine, I can see the drive and all its
> files on U:.
>
> What we haven't been able to get to work .. is my ASP code to find the
> Access file that lives on the U: drive. I get different errors
> depending on
> if I use an ODBC or an OLE Jet 4 connection string.  The ODBC returns a
> registry failure error, whereas the OLE returns a disk or network error.
>
> All works fine if the database exists on the web server, so it's
> not my ASP
> code per se nor my connection string. My ASP code can't find the
> U: drive ..
> at least I think that's the problem.  As an aside,  I can't seem to get
> include file either to find the U: drive .. tho I gave up on Friday trying
> this as it was home time ;)

Could this be the problem?

  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257174

Mapped drive letters are only valid in the context of a user session, and so
whether or not your ASP works will depend on whether an appropriate user is
logged in on the console so that the drive letter is mapped... :-)

Jason