[thelist] A:Active Working Example?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Feb 24 13:57:01 CST 2003

>> BTW, is css case sensitive? a.something vs. A.something?
>> I would really like to see a working example. Thanks efolk.
>
> Yes, it is case sensitive.
>
> Here's an example:
> http://careermatters.tvo.org/highschool/other.phtml

i see only lower case selectors in  careermatters.css

there are mixed case class names, though

i believe a.something and A.something will both work, and both will select
links that are coded either A or a

still, it's probably better to code selectors in lower case

emma, in that style sheet, is says

    /* NOTES ABOUT LINKS
    These links match too much in proper CSS because of
    <a name="top"> anchors. In proper format these would be
    a[href] to match links with an attribute of "href". */
        a:link, a:visited { ... }
        a:active { ... }
        a:hover { ... }

and yet the style sheet has no rule for  a

that's the whole point of "my" technique (it's not actually mine, of course,
but let's call it that for the sake of this discussion)

first, you define styles for all anchors using the   a   selector

then you "override" and/or add styles for links, i.e. a:link and a:visited

this means anchors, as in <a name="foo">, will have some styles in common
with links

this works really well in nav bars for the "you are here"
link-that-isn't-a-link that is supposed to be inactive, i.e. text-like

rudy