[thelist] Online credit card processing.

Rob Whitener rwhitener at DesignOptions.com
Wed Feb 26 09:06:00 CST 2003

I am trying to make sense setting up an online merchant account and how much
I should pay.
I have been looking at a company known as innovative merchant solutions
through a web design company known as Avalon (they basically sell flash
websites to resellers.  The sites look nice, but I am not completely sold on
the idea).

This is what they charge for a merchant account:
Discount rate: 2.59% (max)
transaction fee $.30
customer service fee $10/month
monthly minimum: $25.00
Gateway Access fee: $10.00
Gateway Transaction fee: $.10
Set up and activation of merchant account including internet payment
gateway: $995.00

Their discount rates and monthly fees seem high compared to places like
Charge.com, and gotmerchant.com, but I am not sure about the set up and
activation which includes the payment gateway.  Isn't this just the shopping
cart wrapped up in some fancy language? If so, a thousand bucks seems pretty
high.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob