[thelist] Sharing data between ASP and JavaScripts

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Feb 26 13:10:01 CST 2003

jerryscannell at cox.net wrote:

> 1) frames --
>
> ARE YOU SUGGESTING THAT IF I PUT THE BUTTON ON THE "LEFT" FRAME
> THAT I COULD RUN A PROCESS THAT WOULD SET MY GLOBAL VARIABLE?

Sure. The two frames contain independent documents; the fact that
the 'main' frame is waiting for the response from the server with
the query results doesn't preclude your making a request from the
'left' frame. Skip the JavaScript, just make the button a link to
the variable-setting process. In JSP, it'd be something as simple
as a page with
<%
    session.setAttribute("IMPATIENCE_FLAG", true);
    response.sendRedirect(request.getHeader("REFERER"));
%>

I imagine there's something comparable in ASP. :-)

> 2) server push --
>
> WHAT IS "SERVER PUSH"?

Using `Content-type: multipart/mixed` to keep the connection open;
see <http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/pushpull.html>

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.