[thelist] Sharing data between ASP and JavaScripts

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Wed Feb 26 13:25:01 CST 2003

> Sure. The two frames contain independent documents; the fact
> that the 'main' frame is waiting for the response from the
> server with the query results doesn't preclude your making a
> request from the 'left' frame. Skip the JavaScript, just make
> the button a link to the variable-setting process. In JSP,
> it'd be something as simple as a page with <%
>     session.setAttribute("IMPATIENCE_FLAG", true);
>     response.sendRedirect(request.getHeader("REFERER"));
> %>

DOH!! This might actually work! <slaps-forhead/>

I haven't used frames in *years* (five or six now) so I completely missed
this approach.

If you have the long-running process periodically check that session
variable... Hmm...

[start]
Session ( "cancel" ) = false

[user fires report]
Session ( "cancel" ) = false  'still

[user changes mind, hits cancel button in control frame]
Session ( "cancel" ) = true

[report generator checks session]
While generatingReport
	Every 60 Seconds:
		If Session ( "cancel" ) then
			TERMINATE REPORT
		End If
Wend

Dang, that's a good idea -- I'll have to stash that one away for future use!
:)

And I'm still technically right -- this just hacks around it using two
document instances in a single browser, so there! ;)

-dave