[thelist] info on templates, XML and TLAs

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Wed Feb 26 13:45:01 CST 2003

I'm interested in figuring out how to make XML modules of information that
have no site navigation (but perhaps navigation to link to a Page Two of
the module). What I'd like to read
up on is how to use *** (insert Three Letter Acronym) to transform a
"module" of information into a page of a web site. i.e. add the site
navigation back in.

To explain a little further: (I have lots of different uses for this, but I'll use my
blog because that's the easiest for me to explain)
I have an entry of information. Right now I make individual files for each
entry. As much as I've tried to separate style from content, there are
still some things that get included -- like navigation. I want to figure
out how to make an xml file with just the blog entry...and NOTHING else.
Then I want so somehow parse/filter/whatever that blog entry through a ***
and output a finished XHTML page.

In theory the XML blog entry might be an XHTML page (which is xml) but it
would then have extra stuff stitched into it. e.g. different navigation
templates (including both different styles AND different human languages). I've
looked at Perl and PHP templates
but I'd like to see how to do a "proper" xml template with *** (is it XSLT?).

Lots o' Questions:
What's the *** that I'm supposed to be looking for?
How do you make a "template" that includes other information (e.g.
navigation)? Is this just XSL Transformations?
Can you recommend any good articles on making templates? I understand the
concepts of XML documents from my work with XHTML (I teach it and know how
to read the DTD and know how to modify a DTD), I've not done
transformations though.

thanks :)

emma
PS Please don't suggest that I get a better blogging tool. This is just an
example of what I'm trying to do. The final implementation will have
little if anything to do with blogging.

<tip author="emmajane">
i18n spells "internationalization." It means "i" 18-letters-until-the-letter "n."
</tip>

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]