[thelist] CSS background-position property not working

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Wed Feb 26 14:32:27 CST 2003

At 2/26/2003 01:38 PM, you wrote:
>I have been trying to get my portfolio site to look right, and for some
>reason the CSS "background-position" property doesn't seem to be working
>properly. The site is <http://sarah.designshift.com/> - I am trying to have
>left side be orange, which is the background colour, and have the rest of
>the page have the blue stripes image as the background. Here is my body
>definition:
>body
>{ font-family: sans-serif;
>   font-size: 90%;
>   background-color: #ff9900;
>   background-image: url("images/stripes.gif");
>   background-position: 12.5em 0em;
>   color: white;
>}

Well, it looks like I've fixed this problem. I guess that because the image
(which was about 18x12 pixels) had to be tiled both horizontally and
vertically to fill the background, it wouldn't position the way I wanted it
to. So I edited the image so that it is wide enough to only have to be
repeated vertically, and then set "background-repeat: repeat-y;". (BTW, I
made the image 1600 pixels wide - does anyone think this might not be wide
enough?)

Sarah