[thelist] CSS background-position property not working

j.d. welch so.there at showtunepink.com
Wed Feb 26 14:50:01 CST 2003

On Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003, at 15:36 America/New_York, Sarah wrote:

> Well, it looks like I've fixed this problem. I guess that because the
> image
> (which was about 18x12 pixels) had to be tiled both horizontally and
> vertically to fill the background, it wouldn't position the way I
> wanted it
> to. So I edited the image so that it is wide enough to only have to be
> repeated vertically, and then set "background-repeat: repeat-y;".
> (BTW, I
> made the image 1600 pixels wide - does anyone think this might not be
> wide
> enough?)

alternately, you could do mostly what you were before, instead applying
the background image to a div nested within the body (directly after
the tag)-- something like:

body
{ font-family: sans-serif;
   font-size: 90%;
   background-color: #ff9900;
   color: white;
}

#bg
{
   width:100%;
   margin-left:100px;
   background-image: url("images/stripes.gif");
}

so you'll get your orange band and the rest of the page (at any width)
will be filled with the background image.

just a thought.

    J.D. Welch			|  so.there at showtunepink.com
    graphic designer    	|  http://www.showtunepink.com
    web developer       	|  http://kitschparade.ath.cx