[thelist] Re: Vignette = no doctype?

Cory Maylett maylett at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 3 22:19:00 CST 2003

Ahhh, good old Vignette StoryServer. Now that brings back memories. I used
to head up up a daily newspaper Web site, and we bought a Vignette system
running out of Sybase. Hey, it was fantastic at the time (5 years ago). I
doubt that too many companies have a real need to "graduate" to it now
though. It has its pluses for huge mega-sites with a content-driven
philosophy (well, maybe), but in general, less flexibility than php, more
difficult to code (tcl plus Vignette's proprietary limitations), costs
several tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars (haven't checked their
prices lately) and still doesn't generate decent code without a Herculean
effort.

Lee