[thelist] Macromedia.com redesigned

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Mar 5 17:51:01 CST 2003

My first impulse was to suggest people peruse thelist archives and just
pretend we had this thread again with the words shuffled around a bit
... and that I thought MM was lame for not doing their new home page in
PDF format ... but against my better judgment, I am not passing up on
the opportunity to have some fun  ...

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 04:08  PM, Paul Bennett wrote:
> What I *was* wanting to do is start a
> discussion about the pro's/con's of this use of multimedia technology.

The Pros have exhausted their desire to rehabilitate the Cons. Before
Flash MX, the Cons criticized the Pros for departing from standard
browser GUI elements. Now the Cons are criticizing the Pros for
emulating standard browser GUI elements in Flash. As the Con's "limited
audience" arguments become weaker, they continue to parade out arcane
devices that can access the Internet but not Flash.

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 04:58  PM, John Handelaar wrote:
> If.
> Some.
> Users.
> Can't.
> Read.
> Your.
> Site,
>
> Macromedia.
> Will.
> LOSE.
> MONEY.

Yeah, the teeming hordes of blind wanna be web developers with
incompatible screen readers that happen to look into buying software
while MM's home page is in beta, and Linux freaks too cantankerous to
bother rolling over to a computer set up similarly to 99.9% of the
Internet's population before they start spewing off That. They've.
Made. Up. Their. Minds. And. Everyone. Who's. Ideas. Are. Different.
Than. Theirs. Is. Wrong. Period.

> If Macromedia itself can't disprove the point, what the hell
> chance does it have of convincing the rest of us to try?

The point being that you're not interested in become a Flash developer,
of course.

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 05:21  PM, Peekstok, Anna wrote:
> Say I work for a graphic design agency deciding whether to go with
> Illustrator or FreeHand. It turns out we have to order our software
> through
> Alice in the purchasing department, who happens to be blind. She goes
> your site and tries to get some basic information...

Alice must have larger troubles than being blind ... perhaps being
dimwitted? ... #1 search result seems like it couldn't be much more
accessible:
<http://google.com/search?q=freehand+features>
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital