[thelist] Macromedia.com redesigned

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Thu Mar 6 13:59:01 CST 2003

John:

I don't envy the position you're in. Right about now I'm sure glad that I
don't work for macromedia. I think I'd probably turn around and just say
something to the effect of, "bugger off if you don't want to play nice. We
tried." You have a lot more tact that me, kudos. :)

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:34:48AM -0800, John Dowdell wrote:
> > Side note - whoever made the comment about not realeasing a beta
> > version of a site to the public was *dead* on. A definite mistake
> > in MM judgement, IMO. Lots of this stuff could have been tweaked
> > before hand.
>
> You're assuming the site was not tested previously, which is an incorrect
> assumption.

No, I think we're mostly going by the language on the front page of the
site. Where it says, "Beta site." Either a site is ready for prime time
and is a "new site" or it's not ready for prime time and is therefore
"beta." This is a matter of semantics, yes.

> At 7:37 AM 3/6/3, Scott Brady wrote:
> > Considering MM is a member of the W3C, you'd think they'd have
> > run the site through the W3C's validator:
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macromedia.com
>
> That validator doesn't like EMBED. Real browsers require it. Other real
> browsers require additional HTML handlings. That document will definitely
> not meet platonic specifications.

Then a custom DTD should be used, not a public DTD that doesn't have all
of the necessary elements. That's sort of the point behind DTD, you can
extend them if you need to.

For what it's worth the problem with the HTML is not restricted to EMBED:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macromedia.com%2Fsoftware%2F
problems include, but are not limited to:

# Line 40, column 19:  there is no attribute "Language"  (explain...).
    <script Language="JavaScript">

# Line 40, column 31: required attribute "type" not specified (explain...).
    <script Language="JavaScript">

# Line 48, column 503: there is no attribute "width" (explain...).
  ...f" title="Search" alt="Search" width="56" height="32" border="0" /></div>

# Line 48, column 515: there is no attribute "height" (explain...).
  ...arch" alt="Search" width="56" height="32" border="0" /></div>

# Line 48, column 527: there is no attribute "border" (explain...).
  ...earch" width="56" height="32" border="0" /></div>

# Line 51, column 30: required attribute "id" not specified (explain...).
  <map name="international_util">

Doesn't DreamWeaver have built-in checks for stuff like this? I seem to
recall hearing it somehow incorporated HTML-Tidy...or am I thinking of the
code sweep that just cleans out redundant <font> tags?

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]