[thelist] Designing for New Monitors

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Mar 6 14:55:01 CST 2003

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 02:11  PM, Rob Smith wrote:
> With the sale of these new fand-dangled flat panel monitors, quite a
> few of
> them are arriving in wide screen.
>
> Has anyone had any experience designing for these types of monitors?
> What
> are the pixel dimensions, colors, etc. used?

Yes, I made a website in 1999 for a client with an Apple Cinema Display
and have not opened new windows at true full screen since.

The colors are determined by the computer's display preferences, and
video card limitations, just like any other display.

The Apple Cinema HD display's default resolution is 1920x1200 ... the
specifics don't matter, but windows at full screen is super annoying no
matter what if you have a huge desktop. You want to set a maximum width
and height in your window opening scripts.

I'll see if I can improve on the "pseudo full screen" window opening
script I currently use and post it as a tip if no one beats me to it
with a better one.

(plug: get one if you can afford it, an Apple Cinema HD Display is well
worth the money, simply amazing: super great contrast and lots of
really tight pixels, so text is a lot easier on the eyes, plus the way
the pixels are updated also reduces eye strain. You can eat potato
chips without getting that odd shaking thing)
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>
Flash and ColdFusion Development