[thelist] Hosting recommendations

Roger L. Waggener waggener at vss.fsi.com
Fri Mar 7 15:26:01 CST 2003

Jay Dorsey wrote:
> I've used Affordablehost for about a year now and have been happy with
> them.  http://www.affordablehost.com/hosting.shtml  Only downside is SSH
> access costs $10 to set up, and I think subdomains are $5 each (I'm not
> sure of the exact amount).

I used affordablehost for exactly one year and was very pleased with them.
When that year ran out, however, so did my satisfaction. I had paid them
to renew my domain name and for another year's hosting, but 5 days after
they had taken my money (via paypal) my domain name no longer worked.

I started a trouble ticket which got a slow reply, but which claimed they
were changing registrars and that they'd fix it ASAP. After a week of
getting replies from different people with the same runaround, they just
simply stopped replying to my ticket. They just stopped. Period.

Meanwhile my domain had expired because AH either would not or could not
renew it. Luckily they were using OpenSRS, which I guess they were changing
from, and OpenSRS let me transfer the expired domain with no problem.

I used to think AH was the bees knees, but recently things have been
slipping and I don't think it's going to get better. The hosting is
still decent for the money, but let me warn you that they like to tinker
with things without notifying users. They recently upgraded the server
I am on- with no notification- and 76,000 words worth of postings made
using MovableType were simply nuked- along with all my blog configurations
because the version of Berkley DB changed.

Affordblehost is cheap and you get what you pay for- sometimes less.