[thelist] Unreasonable host?

j.d. welch so.there at showtunepink.com
Sat Mar 8 10:53:01 CST 2003

On Saturday, Mar 8, 2003, at 11:12 America/New_York, Cake wrote:

> Fair enough - but the thing is, they want *us* to pay for the time and
> resources taken in the staging process.  Am I the only who thinks
> they're taking the proverbial, or is that reasonable?

i think it comes down to: what does your SLA say?  if the host doesn't
generally offer custom software configuration/installation at no extra
cost you should expect to pay for the costs incurred; testing is a
necessary part of installing a new service to determine the impact on
other services & servers (not just 'does it work on my box'), on
security, etc., and is a complex and time consuming process.  my system
administrator friends would agree it's standard practice to charge for
all the work necessary to get your requested new service running, and
unless you have established a written agreement otherwise, i think it
is perfectly reasonable for them to expect compensation for their
effort.

    J.D. Welch			|  so.there at showtunepink.com
    graphic designer    	|  http://www.showtunepink.com
    web developer       	|  http://kitschparade.ath.cx