[thelist] tip

Cake cake at brothercake.com
Sun Mar 9 00:55:01 CST 2003

<tip type="Philosophy - Information vs Design" author="James Edwards">

There's an apparent conflict between information and design -
information is concerned with what data *is* and doesn't care about what
it *looks like*; design is concerned with what data *looks like* and
doesn't care about what it *is*.

(This is all too neatly exemplified in the [ongoing...] HTML vs Flash
debate.)

But information is incomprehensible without design; and design is
meaningless without information. Their forces are mutually supportive -
how can we apply *design* to our *information* in such a way as to make
it more *accessible*.

</tip>

James