[thelist] Mysql on Jaguar

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Mar 9 14:59:01 CST 2003

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 08:43:04PM -0000, Andrew wrote:
> try user 'root' password 'xxx'

Unless of course you've not changed the root password from the default. I
believe the standard default password for all systems is no password.

> mysql -u root -p
Password: <--- just hit "enter" or "return" here

Assuming you've already created a new user account add:
mysql> grant all on dbname.* to username;
(or whatever privileges you want the user to have)
The dbname.* means "for all tables in that database"

If you haven't created a new user yet do this:
mysql> grant all on dbname.* to username@"localhost" identified by
	'password';

You can also allow that user to connect from any host by using:
	username@'%'
(note the different wild card and the quotes)

There are some good Mac-ish/OSX-server-ish tutorials out there...
You may find this one of use for general set up:
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Administration/BuildingOnOSX/page1.html
(it seems like an updated version of what I used a couple of years ago to
setup mysql on an OSX server, but I'm not entirely sure)

And for more info about access privileges:
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Access/page1.html

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]