[thelist] pretty databases vs. fast databases

Paul Bennett paul at teltest.com
Sun Mar 9 18:34:01 CST 2003

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

>>Not that you asked the question, but a way to completely eliminate the
>>potential problem would be to write static files from the queries
>>instead of querying the DB with each request.
>>
>Yup. that's the publishing system that I eluded to at the bottom
>of the post. I'd love to have a system that output XML
>files + transformations each time a "save" was done. Then visitors would
>pick up the correctly transformed file. (The "raw" XML files could be used
>for content syndication/distributed archives/etc.)

Thanks for putting that in.. (Erik and Emma) I have been considering how
to avoid db calls for websites in which the content would not likely
change frequently, but additional "pages" would be added frequently. I
have looked at query caching but shied away in fear. (I fear change, I
fear change!) Writing static files and keeping page info in the db is a
great way to do this. *slaps forehead*

--
	Paul Bennett
Email: paul at teltest.com