[thelist] Contract Opinion

Gina Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Mon Mar 10 09:12:01 CST 2003

Hi all,

I'm about to act as a subcontractor under 'Company A', acting together to
design a website for 'Company B'. Company B has sent me a contract that is
fine except for one clause, which I'm a bit hesitant about:

7. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. The Contractor shall be responsible for loss or damage
to any person or property incurred in connection with the work performed
hereunder, and shall indemnify and hold 'Company B' harmless from payment of
claims of any kind arising out of such loss or damage.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but that is a kind of broad statement to me. In your
experience, is this normal procedure for these kind of contracts?

It's actually the first time I've had to sign one from a 'Company B' entity,
I'm usually 'hidden' from them and covered under the contract of the design
firm that subcontracts my services---so I just need some input..would you
sign it (as the rest of it is fine with me) or what?

Thanks,
Gina